We’re all complaining about thick smoke here in the Bay Area, but it’s hard to feel too sorry for ourselves when we’re sitting safely in our intact homes. Personally, I’m also struggling with feelings of helplessness. I wish I could do more to help Camp Fire victims in Paradise and its neighboring communities. It’s been freezing cold at night and thinking about families living indefinitely in a Walmart parking lot with winter right around the bend is absolutely heart wrenching. How can they make their children feel safe? Will they ever return to Paradise? Or even be able to afford to rebuild in California? Or anywhere? The answers to any of these questions are murky at best.
But while we may feel helpless, we actually are not. Here are 8 impactful ways you can help Camp Fire Victims.
- Offer Your Home. Airbnb has activated its disaster relief program. If you have a living space available — or are an evacuee in need of one — you can access it here.
- Start Texting. Text CAWILDFIRES to 90999 to make a $10 donation to the Red Cross, and BUTTEFIRE to 91999 to donate to the Northern California Relief Fund.
- Contribute To Victims Funds. Tri Counties Bank and Golden Valley Bank have both set up funds to help victims.
- Hop On GoFundMe. The grassroots funding website has created a landing page where you can help victims of the Camp Fire, Woolsey Fire, animals impacted by fires, and first responders.
- Donate Fresh Ingredients. Salvation Army is asking for fresh produce donations to Church of the Nazarene, 2238 Monte Vista Avenue, Oroville.
- Help The Animals. Donate food or supplies to Butte Humane Society from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the warehouse 2580 Fair St. Chico. North Valley Animal Disaster Group is soliciting donations via their Facebook page.
- Get Hands On. Oroville Hope Center is looking for volunteers and donations. Head to their website to learn more about their current needs.
- Donate Gift Cards. Bidwell Presbyterian Church, a Red Cross drop-off center, is asking for gift cards to be used for essentials. Click here for details.